What to Bring
Items considered hazardous or contraband that are not permitted on the units at any time:
- Watches and Wedding Bands only, all other jewelry must be approved by Director or Assistant Director of Nursing.
- Plastic bags
- Spray cans (aerosols)
- Glass containers, glass objects
- Nail polish and nail polish remover
- Compacts with mirrors & mirrors
- Sharp objects including scissors, knives, metal nail files, knitting needles, tweezers, nail clippers
- Metal combs, hair picks, rattail combs
- cloth or elastic headbands of any sort
- Any liquid containing alcohol
- All medications (vitamins, herbal remedies, OTC medicines)
- Sewing needles, safety pins, straight pins
- Wire coat hangers
- Electronic devices-tape recorders, cameras, TV’s, radios, iPods/MP3 devices, computers, Electronic readers, cell phones, tablets, or Kindle
- Lighters & matches
- Car keys
- Belts, drawstrings, hooded sweatshirts with drawstrings, scarves, coats with drawstrings, Paracords manufactured item
- Loose tobacco, opened packs of cigarettes, electronic cigarettes
- Tube tops, tank tops, short skirts/shorts, see-through garments, gang related clothing
- Hats, head wraps, including winter hats/caps, winter headbands
- Steel toe boots & high heel shoes, shoes with shoelaces, boots with laces
- Aluminum cans
- Wire or hard plastic notebooks
- Permanent markers, paperclips, correction fluid (white-out), staples, pens & pencils, art supplies
- Purses, luggage, back packs
- Any form of magnets including, but not limited to toys and jewelry
- Pillow & blankets from home, stuffed animals
- Powered items (foot powder, baby powder)
- Sporting equipment & musical equipment
- Removable gel insoles for shoes unless otherwise approved by the doctor
- Cleaning supplies & laundry detergents
- No outside food or drink items
- Any other items deemed potentially dangerous or hazardous by staff.
Items that are permitted in the rooms during specified times (regardless if provided by ABH or brought from home) only unless otherwise indicated by the doctor:
- Razors, electric shavers
- Electrical devices-hair dryers, straighteners, curling irons
- Shampoo & Conditioner (if alcohol is not in the top 5 ingredients)
Items permitted in patient rooms:
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Brush & Comb
- Notebooks with no metal or hard plastic, books, hospital approved pencils
- Eye care supplies (unless indicated on the bottle that the solution is harmful if swallowed)
- Clothing & shoes (without shoe laces)
Possession of Contraband
- When it has been suspected that a patient is in violation of their therapeutic plan of treatment by use or possession of contraband on the premises, the policy regarding types of searches will be followed carefully (PC 101, Belonging Searches).
- Special precautions may need to be initiated.
- The treatment team may be assembled at any time in this process to review the situation and determine a therapeutic response.
- The treatment team is responsible for presenting recommendations for solution to the Physician. The Physician will make the final determination on the direction of treatment.
- Arrowhead Behavioral Health will make every effort to maintain maximum therapeutic effect for all patients. In some cases, it may be considered more beneficial for the current mode of treatment to be terminated.
- In the event of termination of care, discharge planning will be completed to include assistance with placement in a more appropriate level of care if indicated.